I finally got around to making some large diapers. These are also made with the Very Baby pattern but I used some alternative fabrics. The inside and the absorbent middle are made of 100% cotton flannel rather than birdseye and the outside is some thin, cheap cotton that I found at a discount store rather than PUL. I only put hook & loop tape on one of the four diapers I made because, honestly, the convenience of using it does not outweigh the inconvenience of sewing it on – I find Snappi to be a wonderful closure.
Since I did not use PUL as an outer layer on these diapers, I sometimes use a cover. Wool soakers are breathable and yet keep moisture from leaking all over the place.
In case you needed proof that crafting can be ugly here is a wool soaker that I made a long time ago from a thrift store felted sweater. It did an adequate job as a cloth diaper cover but was too tight around the legs and not high enough in the waist. So I added crocheted ribbing. I’d almost rather not share this with you because it is so sloppy but it IS what I’ve been working on and it does work.
I promise to start mixing up the crafts here soon – enough of the diapers already.